Citizens Climate Lobby (CCL) creates political will by cultivating strong working relations with political representatives and the media. We celebrated a record-breaking and breakthrough year in 2012.
- CCL Canada is now active in more than 30 ridings.
- We had 50 meetings with Members of Parliament, Senators and Members of Provincial Parliament. This included Liberal Interim Leader, Bob Rae, NDP Environment Critic, Megan Leslie, and Liberal Environment Critic, Kirsty Duncan.
- We met with three Canadian Senators, to pass on breakthrough research on renewable energy by Dr. Mark Jacobson and Dr. Mark Delluchi.
- We attended two Ottawa lobby sessions in June and November. CCL Canada members also joined their American colleagues in July in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress and the Senate to support the Save our Climate Act. We also met with the US representative at the World Bank, urging it to end loans to coal plants.
Canadian media breakthroughs include:
- 90 Letters to the Editor (tripled from the year before!)
- 2 meetings with editorial boards
- 1 editorial
- 12 columns and opinion editorials (quadrupled from the year before!)
- 9 articles about CCL
- 10 radio hits and 2 TV hits
U.S. and Canadian media breakthroughs:
- 537 Letters to the Editor (tripled from the year before!)
- 22 editorials
- 61 TV and radio hits
In 2012, we developed working committees and a strategic plan to engage the membership, grow our base and get a carbon fee and dividend bill passed in Parliament. There are exciting opportunities on the horizon. We look forward to another breakthrough year.