Canada will most likely have a national carbon pricing policy by September 2016. CCL Canada is committed to holding the flag for carbon fee and dividend. As we seek common ground, these following criteria will guide us. The federal carbon pricing policy must reduce carbon emissions in a timely and just manner, and:
– Include a steady, resolute and rising carbon price for predictability and effectiveness,
– Price pollution at the source and use border tax adjustments to discourage industry relocation,
– Be as simple and transparent as possible,
– Protect low to middle income Canadians, while stimulating the economy and creating jobs,
– Can work with provincial carbon pricing systems and harmonize across national borders.
(n.b. These criteria are found in the alternative letter for our Endorser Project)